Technical Advisor, Health Economics and Monitoring and Evaluation
Garth Singleton MPH is a specialist in health sector planning, management and financing. He has worked extensively in Africa, Asia and the Pacific region on a range of long and short term health assignments. He has more than 25 years’ experience of providing consultancy support in monitoring and evaluation, health planning, health financing and programme design and the development of public, private and non-governmental organisation health services in low-income countries.
Background and relevant experience
Previously, the General Manager of Health Partners International from 1996 to 2006, and on the Board of Directors between 1996 and 2009, Garth has extensive experience in monitoring and evaluating health and HIV/AIDS sector activities, including public, private and NGO sector services, on behalf of international aid organisations.
Garth is an experienced team leader, having led teams in undertaking complex assignment exercises in a variety of countries or regions:
- He has led health planning assignments in number of countries including St. Lucia, South Sudan, Palestine, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu.
- He has led the evaluation of a variety of projects for example in South Sudan (DFID – mid-term review of the Health Pooled Fund project), Nigeria (DFID – Annual Review of SUNMAP Malaria project), Ghana (DFID – Malaria, Emergency Obstetric Care), and the collaboration between the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and the College of Surgeons of East, Southern and Central Africa in an Irish Aid funded programme to improve and increase the training of surgeons in the region.
- In 2011 & 2013 he led Palestinian teams to conduct project evaluations for Norwegian support for cancer care in Palestine and for Belgian support to the tertiary health care sector in West Bank and Gaza.
- In 2011 he led a multinational team to document the outcomes and impacts of 35 years Norway’s assistance to the Botswana health sector from 1975 – 2010.
- He has led teams undertaking reviews of health sector programmes in Papua New Guinea (Australian Aid 2009), Barbados and Mozambique.
- He has led teams undertaking reviews of HIV/AIDS programmes in Trinidad and Tobago, the Caribbean Region as well as Malawi where, between 2005 and 2007 he led the biannual review team that monitored the National AIDS/HIV control programme.
In addition Garth has undertaken a variety of other roles:
- Between 2005 & 2008 he participated in research into the utility of Home Testing Kits for sexually transmitted infections as a tool to improve NHS genitourinary medicine clinic efficiency and increase access to clinic services by underserved populations. He was responsible for undertaking the economic analysis for the study.
- In Ghana, Mozambique, Malawi, Papua New Guinea he has participated in the annual reviews of Sector Wide Approaches that have analysed policy priorities against sector performance.
- In Ghana, Nigeria and Tanzania, he has lead the implementation of health sector costing studies.
Garth has worked in many countries throughout the world, including Botswana, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Maldives, Malaysia, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Peru, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago.
Selected presentations, publications and reports
- Fisher, M., Wayal, S., Smith, H., Llewellyn, C., Alexander, S., Ison, J.V., Singleton, G., Perry, N., & Richardson, D. (2015). ‘Home Sampling for Sexually Transmitted Infections and HIV in Men who have Sex with Men: a Prospective Observational Study’. PLOS One.
- Singleton, G., Campbell, K., Kereng, P., Malmborg, J., Medina, M., Musowe, V., & Réveillion, M. (2012). ‘Evaluation of Norweigan Health Sector Support to Bostwana’.
- Pan- Caribbean Partnership against AIDS. (2008) ‘The Caribbean Regional Strategic Framework 2008 -2012’.
- Tang Sheng-Lang, Bloom, G., Xue-Shan, F,. Segall, M., Singleton, G. and Payne P. (1994). ‘ Financing Health Services in China: Adapting to Economic Reform’.
- Bloom, G., Singleton, G. and Toye, J. (1992) ‘Public expenditures in the Tanzanian health sector structural adjustment’. The Institute of Development Studies Research Reports.
- Singleton, G. (1990) ‘The health planning needs in Pacific Island States’ . The International Journal of Health Planning and Management. Vol 5 (2)