Health systems and social development support in the strategic planning process of health services – Nigeria
- Our health systems consultant reviewed state health plans and policy documents, a process that revealed limited planning capacity and a lack of reliable data for informing the planning process.
- Our social development consultant worked with the Enugu State Ministry of Health to review the methodology used for the state health planning process, and the quality of its outputs.
The review process involved wide consultation with civil society organisations. Key recommendations were that the ministry should strive to:
- move to a more inclusive and participatory planning process involving wide consultation with stakeholders outside the ministry
- equip managers with the skills to analyse problems within the health sector
- develop appropriate strategies and interventions to deal with the underlying causes of those problems.